Current:Home > InvestPhiladelphia man won’t be retried in shooting that sent him to prison for 12 years at 17 -Capitatum
Philadelphia man won’t be retried in shooting that sent him to prison for 12 years at 17
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 12:29:21
PHILADELPHIA (AP) — A Philadelphia man won’t be retried in a 2011 shooting that injured four people, including a 6-year-old girl, and sent him to prison for more than a decade at age 17, a prosecutor announced Monday.
A judge closed the case against C.J. Rice, now 30, months after a federal judge found the defense lawyer at his 2013 trial deficient and the evidence “slender.” Rice had been serving a 30- to 60-year prison term until he was released amid the federal court ruling late last year.
The case was formally dismissed Monday after District Attorney Larry Krasner decided not to retry it. While he said most of the 45 exonerations his office has championed have been more clearcut cases of innocence, he found a new look at the evidence in Rice’s case more nuanced.
“The case falls within that 15% or so (of exoneration cases) where we believe it’s murky,” Krasner said at a press conference where he was joined by defense lawyers who pushed back on that view.
The reversal hinged on a few key points. A surgeon testified that Rice could not have been the person seen running from the scene because Rice had been seriously injured in a shooting three weeks earlier that fractured his pelvis.
Rice was shot on Sept. 3, 2011, in what he described as a case of mistaken identity. His trial lawyer, now deceased, agreed to stipulate that one of the Sept. 25, 2011, shooting victims was a potential suspect in Rice’s shooting — giving prosecutors a motive — even though there was little evidence of that.
“The evidence of (his) guilt was slender. Only one of the four victims was able to identify him and she admitted that the last time she had seen (him) was at least four years before the shooting. No weapon was ever recovered,” U.S. Magistrate Judge Carol Sandra Moore Wells wrote in her October report.
Rice left prison in December, but did not attend Monday’s court hearing. His lawyers said during a news conference that the case echoes many wrongful convictions that involve faulty eyewitness identification, ineffective counsel and overreach by prosecutors.
Nilam Sanghvi, legal director of the Pennsylvania Innocence Project, said the crime should have been thoroughly investigated before trial, not years later.
“It takes courage to face the wrongs of the past,” she said, while adding “we can never really right them because we can’t restore the years lost to wrongful conviction — here, over a decade of C.J.’s life.”
veryGood! (5294)
Related
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- Get a $78 Anthropologie Pullover for $18, 25% off T3 Hair Tools, $800 off Avocado Organic Mattress & More
- Trump and his lawyers make two arguments in court to get classified documents case dismissed
- A new wave of 'tough-on-crime' laws aim to intimidate criminals. Experts are skeptical.
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- South Carolina’s top public health doctor warns senators wrong lessons being learned from COVID
- Grey’s Anatomy Stars Share Behind-the-Scenes Memories Before Season 20 Premiere
- UNRWA says Israeli strike hit Gaza food aid center, killing 1 staffer and wounding 22 others
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- Shohei Ohtani unveils his new wife in a photo on social media
Ranking
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Why FKA Twigs Doesn't Regret Burning Off Her Skin After Bleached Eyebrows Mishap
- Florida woman found dead on cruise ship, Bahamas police say
- It’s Your Lucky Day! Get Up to 80% off at Anthropologie, With Deals Starting at Under $20
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Most semi-automated vehicle systems fall short on safety, new test finds
- Florida woman found dead on cruise ship, Bahamas police say
- Nebraska governor blames university leadership for AD Trev Alberts’ sudden departure for Texas A&M
Recommendation
California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
Oil tanks catch fire at quarry in Maryland suburbs of Washington, DC
2 Michigan officers on leave after video shows officer kicking Black man in head during arrest
Small businesses are cutting jobs. It's a warning sign for the US economy.
Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
Former Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin says he’s putting together investor group to buy TikTok
What is a 'flat white'? Today's Google Doodle celebrates the coffee beverage
Taco Bell menu ready to expand with new Cantina Chicken burrito, quesadilla, bowl and tacos